Calendar of Events
Weather in Rabat
International Day of Biodiversity
I ENCOURAGE MY LOCAL AUTHORITY TO GARDEN ECOLOGICALLY.
Some local authorities are now making an effort to plan and manage roadsides and parterres as a way of promoting biodiversity.
If this is not yet the case in your area, you might suggest that the department concerned try these easy-to-apply principles: plant only local species (perennial flowers require less work than annuals), replace chemical pesticides and fertilizers with ecological equivalents, use mulch and groundcover to limit the growth of undesirable plants and to reduce watering, compost green waste and use the compost to feed the soil in the autumn, practice late mowing, and keep some refuge areas.
Copyright © 2009 Royal Institute of Natural Sciences of Belgium.
The fifteenth session of the African Ministerial Conference on the Environment is organized in Cairo, Egypt from March 4 to 6, 2015 under the theme "Management of natural capital of Africa for Sustainable Development and Poverty Eradication ".
Among the items on the agenda is the outcome of the twelfth meeting of the Conference of Parties to the Convention on Biological Diversity and coordinated implementation in Africa of the Nagoya Protocol on access to genetic resources and sharing fair and equitable sharing of benefits arising from their use.
On the sidelines of the conference, Ms Hakima El Haite, the Minister of State for the Environment, has met with Mr. Braulio Ferreira de Souza, Executive Secretary of the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD). This maintains purpose was:
- Discussion on progress and challenges in the implementation of the CBD;
- Question of the ratification of the Nagoya Protocol on access and benefit sharing arising from the utilization of genetic resources; and
- Synergy between the CBD and the UN Framework Convention on Climate Change.
More than 4,450 hectares of reforestation in Casablanca regions, Chaouia-Ouardigha and Abda-Doukala will be carried out under the 2014-2015 campaign. The operation is part of the national targets declined in the Ten Year Plan of the High Commissioner for Water and Forests and the fight against desertification. The Regional Directorate of Water and Forests and the fight against desertification (DREFLCD) Centre in Casablanca launched during the last week of February, reforestation work under the 2014-2015 campaign.
- Biodiversity is the economic engine.
- Inventory of ecotoxicological research in Morocco
- Fight against devastating medfly fruit.
- Toubkal National Park: A nugget of Biodiversity.
- A law for the protection of plants and animals threatened with extinction.
- Le plus vieil arbre de cèdre en Afrique encerclé par la marginalisation à Ifrane.
- Plus de 90 sites étalés sur 200.000 hectares.
- Oriental: La forêt sous haute pression
- Le Matin: Découverte au Maroc du plus vieux crustacé.
Workshop on Genetic Resources Oasis
The Faculty of Science and Techniques of Errachidia organized on 29 and 30 May 2015, a workshop under the theme "Genetic resources oasis: the role and challenges for research and development." This event is part of the implementation of the Nagoya Protocol on Access and Benefit-sharing arising from the utilization of genetic resources and to value recheches work to contribute to development.
Journée Nationale sur le traitement et la valorisation des Margines.
A l'occasion de la journée mondiale de l'environnement et dans le cadre du Plan Maroc Vert (PMV), l'Association des Propriétaires des Huileries Modernes de Taounate organise en collaboration avec la Faculté des Sciences Dhar El Mahraz et la Fédération BI-Professionnelle d'Olives, une journée nationale sous le thème "Traitement et Valorisation des Margines" «Perspectives pour un développement durable». La journée sera célébrée le 27 Mai 2015, au Palais des Congrés de Fés.
27/05/2015, Palais des Congrès de Fès.
News de la CDB
- Indigenous peoples and local communities often refer to this Earth as Pachamama or "Mother Earth." The fate of Pachamama and of humans has been shaped over a history that has been intertwined.
- A new report from the Secretariat of the Convention on Biological Diversity discusses the potential for synthetic biology to have both positive and negative impacts on biodiversity and looks at the role and adequacy of existing risk assessment and regulatory regimes to evaluate the impact of these technologies.
- The Government of Peru has announced that they have achieved the highest level of implementation and management of Protected Natural Areas, according to the first performance audit by the Comptroller General of the Republic to the National Service of Protected Natural Areas (SERNANP) as part of a coordinated audit with 11 other public institutions in Latin America and the Caribbean, through the INDIMAPA tool and INDOSAI
- The Wangari Maathai Award recognizes extraordinary efforts by an individual to improve and sustain forests and the people who depend on them. The 2015 winner will be awarded US$20, 000 and will be invited to receive their award in person on 10 September 2015, at the World Forestry Congress 2015 in Durban, South Africa.
- Statement by Mr. Braulio F. de Souza Dias, CBD Executive Secretary, at the opening of the Regional Forum on Solutions for Oceans, Coasts and Human Well-Being in Latin America and the Wider Caribbean Region, Cancun, Mexico, 14 - 17 April 2015